Warm weather is changing winter trail conditions quickly. Due to holes and honeycombing on the ice surface, the Kabetogama Lake Ice Road has closed for the season. The Rainy Lake Ice Road currently remains open at this time, but park staff will monitor conditions on a daily basis. Snowmobile trails will be groomed through the end of the week as conditions allow. With forecasted warm temperatures, trail conditions are expected to deteriorate rapidly, and lake surfaces and portages may be devoid of snow soon. Trail stakes will remain through the weekend, but are planned for removal next week. Use caution and watch for slush, holes, and open water.
This will also be the last week of groomed ski trails.
Please remember that due to wolf interaction, short sections of the Green and Yellow Trails on Namakan Lake near the Moose River Grade have been closed and rerouted. The Green Trail reroute follows the south side of Namakan Island to near Cemetery Island and the Green, Yellow, and Orange Trail junctions.
Another winter season is coming to a close. Thanks to all park maintenance staff and gateway community snowmobile clubs, International Voyageurs, Ash River – Kabetogama Snowdrifters, and Voyageur Trail Society, that helped to make it a success.
- International Falls to Kettle Falls (Purple Trail) – Open, staked, and groomed
- Rainy Lake/Black Bay to Kabetogama Lake to Ash River (Green Trail) – Open, staked, and groomed
- *Ash River to Crane Lake (Green Trail) – Open, staked, and groomed
- Chain of Lakes (Dashed Black Trail) – Open, staked, and groomed
- *Ash River to Kettle Falls (Yellow Trail) – Open, staked, and groomed
- *Rudder Bay (Orange Trail) – Open, staked, and groomed
- East Namakan Lake to Sand Point Lake (Blue Trail) – Open, staked, and groomed
*Trail reroutes are in effect. Rerouted trails are staked and groomed.
- Rainy Lake Ice Road – Open to Cranberry Bay and around Dryweed Island
- Kabetogama Lake Ice Road – Closed
- Echo Bay Ski Trail – Open, packed, and tracked
- Black Bay Ski Trail – Open, packed, and tracked
- Tilson Connector Trail – Open, packed, and tracked
- KabAsh Trail – Open
- Black Bay Beaver Pond Trail – Open, not packed
- Blind Ash Bay Trail – Open, not packed
- Oberholtzer Trail – Open, not packed
- Sullivan Bay Trail – Open, not packed
“STAKED TRAILS MAKE SAFETY SENSE”
ORANGE IDENTIFIES HAZARDS