In 2012, the National Park Service, Voyageurs National Park Association, and Wilderness Inquiry partnered together to launch the first-ever National Park Teen Ambassador program. Voyageurs National Park Association is excited to announce the continuation of this program in 2014.
We encourage teens from the park's gateway communities and the Twin Cities to apply to be a National Park Teen Ambassador this summer. The application deadline is May 9, 2014. Participants are part of a student team that:
- Spends 5 days in Voyageurs National Park
- Learns how to canoe and camp in the park
- Explores topics including wildlife research, cultural and natural history, park service careers, and environmental conservation and stewardship
- Advises the national parks about what matters to teens
Who should apply? High school students who:
- Will be a high school sophomore, junior, or senior in fall 2014
- Are excited about the outdoors and making a difference
- Are looking to develop leadership skills and learn more about environmental stewardship
How to apply? Click here to print an application or pick one up at park headquarters. Deadline to apply is May 9, 2014.
Email completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Voyageurs National Park Association 126 N. 3rd Street, Suite 400 Minneapolis, MN 55413
What the Ambassadors had to say about their experience last year: “This program is important so that generations to come will also understand how important and special our national parks are.”
“I think that National Parks are important because they preserve places in nature so that generations to come can still be in touch with their ancestors and the world’s history. They tell stories that otherwise would be bulldozed over or forgotten.”
“Nature offers endless points of view that we’ll never get to see. National Parks are important because [they take] all things you never get to see and make them accessible, put them in one place”
“I enjoyed everything. The outdoor experience was incredible. We got to see a beautiful natural environment that I never saw before and I’m so thankful for this great opportunity. I learned so much, but I can say my favorite part was swimming to an island on Kabetogama [Lake]. I was afraid but the group motivated me and the staff kept me safe.”
Your financial support makes the Teen Ambassador program possible. Contribute today.