Every year, volunteers at Voyageurs National Park donate nearly 10,000 hours. The park greatly benefits from its dedicated supporters. Volunteers operate visitor centers, tend the ethno-botanical garden, and help with many other projects. The park is seeking area residents to assist with the following opportunities: Immediate Needs:
- Rainy Lake Visitor Center Volunteer (Rainy Lake): Meet visitors, provide information, and assist with staffing a visitor center.
- Headquarters Volunteer (International Falls): Assist with different projects from data entry, to information requests, to brochures.
- Website Assistant (International Falls): Assist with updating web information, layout design, and page development.
Summer 2014 Needs:
- Kabetogama Lake or Ash River Visitor Center Volunteers: Meet visitors, provide information, and assist with staffing a visitor center.
- Voyageur Tour Boat Deckhand Volunteer (Rainy Lake): Help run the park’s 49-passenger vessel, the Voyageur, a USCS approved tour boat vessel: prepare boat for tours, secure lines during docking and undocking, be trained on boat safety procedures.
- Ethno-Botanical Garden Volunteer (Rainy Lake): Learn local botany, tend native plants, and remove invasive weeds.
Training will be provided for all opportunities. Positions with public contact are required to wear a uniform. Hours are flexible, generally a few hours a week. Some positions require a background check for government clearance. More detailed information can be found on the park’s website: http://www.nps.gov/voya/supportyourpark/
Interested people are encouraged to contact Chris Amidon, the park’s volunteer program coordinator at: (218) 283-6636.